Welcome to the technical resources and the specifications for the WITSML standard.
- This content is provided to help in the design, development and testing of software based on the WITSML™ standard.
- The members of the WITSML Work Group contributed time and expertise to define each version of the standard, and provide various tools to make it easier to build software based on the standard, test it and deploy it.
Current Versions of Standards
- WITSML™ v2.1
- PRODML™ v2.2
- RESQML™ v2.2
- Energistics common v2.3
- WITSML Version 2.0 was released in 2016.
- WITSML Version 2.0 should be used for all new developments.
- WITSML Version 2.0 leverages the Energistics Common Technical Architecture (CTA).
- Use with Energistics Transport Protocol v1.1.
In v2.0, the main changes included:
- A revised set of data objects. For a list, see Table 1 of the WITSML Technical Usage Guide*.
- Replacement of the Web services with the Energistics Transfer Protocol (ETP), which is part of the Energistics CTA.
- WITSML, v188.8.131.52, specified a set of 27 data object definitions and a Web services specification.
*The Technical Usage Guide describes each WITSML data object, including its business use and an overview of its design.
WITSML DATA SCHEMA SPECIFICATIONS, VERSION 2.0
WITSML Version History
The information provided here is for developers and users who are working with an existing system based on version 184.108.40.206 and require resources for maintenance and operation. Version 2.0 should be used for new developments.
This new data-object is compatible with WITSML v220.127.116.11 and PRODML v1.3. Details found here.
In addition to the API and schema specifications, a series of usage guides and other supporting documentation and tools are under development to help assist users and implementers. This library will grow over time.
RASTERIMAGE ADD_ON SCHEMA
The current v18.104.22.168 Data Schema includes the RasterImage add-on. The RasterImage data object, known as depthRegImage in the schemas, was published in 2016, and it can be added to earlier v22.214.171.124 implementations; it is not a standalone data object. Follow these instructions to install the depthRegImage data object to a v126.96.36.199 implementation.
Version 1.3.1 is deprecated. New production implementations should use Version 2.0.
WITSML Development Tools
The following developer kit and test data resources are available for developers:
- The Standards DevKit wraps WITSML, RESQML and PRODML schemas with Microsoft .NET objects.
- These sample WITSML XML data sets represent real world examples.
- Equinor test data
- Equinor has made available the entire data for the Volve field decommissioned in 2018.
- Learn more here